LA WEB DE READING COMPREHENSION PREFERIDA POR LOS HISPANOHABLANTES

To get information in Spanish place the arrow of your mouse on the highlighted words without clicking.
Para obtener información en español acerca la flecha de tu ratón a las palabras o frases resaltadas.

THE GIFT OF THE MAGI (full version)

William Sydney Porter "O. Henry"

O. Henry was the pen-name of William Sydney Porter (1862-1910) one of the most famous North American short-story writers. His life was a tragic one because he was sentenced to five years in prison accused of fraudulent appropriation of funds at the bank where he worked as a cashier. In spite of this, life gave him a profound knowledge of human character, especially of inhabitants in big cities who are unfortunate in life.

 

First published in 1909, this Edwardian Christmas story by the celebrated American short story writer tells of a young married couple, Della and Jim, whose only two possessions of any value are her beautiful long hair and his gold watch inherited from his father.

 
 

The Gift of the Magi
PAGE 3/3

El Regalo de los Reyes Magos
PAGINA 3/3

"You’ve cut off your hair?" asked Jim, laboriously, as if he had not arrived at that patent fact yet even after the hardest mental labor.

"¿Te cortaste el pelo?", -preguntó Jim, con gran trabajo, como si no pudiera darse cuenta de un hecho tan evidente aunque hiciera un enorme esfuerzo mental.

"Cut it off and sold it," said Della. "Don’t you like me just as well, anyhow? I’m me without my hair, ain’t I?" Jim looked around the room curiously.

Me lo corté y lo vendí, dijo Della. "De todos modos te gusto lo mismo, ¿no es cierto? Sigo siendo la misma aún sin mi pelo, ¿no es así?". Jim pasó su mirada por la habitación con curiosidad.

You say your hair is gone?" he said, with an air almost of idiocy.

"¿Dices que tu pelo ha desaparecido?, dijo con aire casi idiota.

"You needn’t look for it," said Della. "It’s sold, I tell you--sold and gone, too. It’s Christmas Eve, boy. Be good to me, for it went for you. Maybe the hairs of my head were numbered," she went on with a sudden serious sweetness, "but nobody could ever count my love for you. Shall I put the chops on, Jim?"

"No necesitas buscarlo,", dijo Della.". Lo vendí, ya te lo dije, lo vendí, eso es todo. Es Noche Buena, muchacho. Lo hice por ti, perdóname. Quizás alguien podría haber contado mi pelo, uno por uno", continuó con una súbita y seria dulzura, pero nadie podría haber contado mi amor por ti. ¿pongo la carne al fuego?", preguntó.

Out of his trance Jim seemed quickly to wake. He enfolded his Della. For ten seconds let us regard with discreet scrutiny some inconsequential object in the other direction. Eight dollars a week or a million a year--what is the difference? A mathematician or a wit would give you the wrong answer. The magi brought valuable gifts, but that was not among them. This dark assertion will be illuminated later on.

Pasada la primera sorpresa, Jim pareció despertar rápidamente. Abrazó a Della. Durante diez segundos miremos con discreción en otra dirección, hacia algún objeto sin importancia. Ocho dólares a la semana o un millón en un año, ¿cuál es la diferencia? Un matemático o algún hombre sabio podrían darnos una respuesta equivocada. Los Reyes Magos trajeron al Niño regalos de gran valor, pero aquél no estaba entre ellos. Este oscuro acertijo será explicado más adelante.

Jim drew a package from his overcoat pocket and threw it on the table.

Jim sacó un paquete del bolsillo de su abrigo y lo puso sobre la mesa. 

"Don’t make any mistake, Dell," he said, "about me. I don’t think there’s anything in the way of a haircut or a shave or a shampoo that could make me like my girl any less. But if you’ll unwrap that package you may see why you had me going a while at first."

"No te equivoques conmigo, Della", dijo. "Ningún corte de pelo, o su lavado o un peinado especial harían que yo quisiera menos a mi mujercita. Pero si abres ese paquete verás por qué me has provocado tal desconcierto en un primer momento."

White fingers and nimble tore at the string and paper. And then an ecstatic scream of joy; and then, alas! a quick feminine change to hysterical tears and wails, necessitating the immediate employment of all the comforting powers of the lord of the flat.

Los blancos y ágiles dedos de Della retiraron el papel y la cinta. Y entonces se escuchó un jubiloso grito de éxtasis; y después, ¡ay! un rápido y femenino cambio hacia un histérico raudal de lágrimas y de gemidos, lo que requirió el inmediato despliegue de todos los poderes de consuelo del señor del departamento.

For there lay The Combs--the set of combs, side and back, that Della had worshipped for so long in a Broadway window. Beautiful combs, pure tortoise shell, with jeweled rims--just the shade to wear in the beautiful vanished hair. 

Porque allí estaban Las Peinetas -el juego completo de peinetas, una al lado de otra, que Della había estado admirando durante mucho tiempo en una vitrina de Broadway. Eran unas peinetas muy hermosas, de carey auténtico, con sus bordes adornados con joyas y justamente del color para lucir en la bella cabellera ahora desaparecida. 

They were expensive combs, she knew, and her heart had simply craved and yearned over them without the least hope of possession. And now they were hers, but the tresses that should have adorned the coveted adornments were gone.

Eran peinetas muy caras, ella lo sabía, y su corazón simplemente había suspirado por ellas y las había anhelado sin la menor esperanza de poseerlas algún día. Y ahora eran suyas, pero las trenzas destinadas a ser adornadas con esos codiciados adornos habían desaparecido.

But she hugged them to her bosom, and at length she was able to look up with dim eyes and say:

Pero Della las oprimió contra su pecho y, finalmente, fue capaz de mirarlas con ojos húmedos y con una débil sonrisa, y dijo: 

"My hair grows so fast, Jim!"

"¡Mi pelo crecerá muy rápido, Jim!".

And then Della leaped up like a little singed cat and cried, "Oh, oh!"

Y enseguida dio un salto como un gatito chamuscado y gritó: "¡Oh, oh!"

Jim had not yet seen his beautiful present. She held it out to him eagerly upon her open palm. The dull precious metal seemed to flash with a reflection of her bright and ardent spirit.

Jim no había visto aún su hermoso regalo. Della lo mostró con vehemencia en la abierta palma de su mano. El precioso y opaco metal pareció brillar con la luz del brillante y ardiente espíritu de Della.

"Isn’t it a dandy, Jim? I hunted all over town to find it. You’ll have to look at the time a hundred times a day now. Give me your watch. I want to see how it looks on it."

"¿Verdad que es maravillosa, Jim? Recorrí la ciudad entera para encontrarla. Ahora podrás mirar la hora cien veces al día si se te antoja. Dame tu reloj. Quiero ver cómo se ve con ella puesta."

Instead of obeying, Jim tumbled down on the couch and put his hands under the back of his head and smiled.

En vez de obedecer, Jim se dejo caer en el sofá, cruzó sus manos debajo de su nuca y sonrió.

"Dell," said he, "let’s put our Christmas presents away and keep ‘em a while. They’re too nice to use just at present--I sold the watch, to get the money to buy your combs. And now suppose you put the chops on."

"Della", le dijo, "olvidémonos de nuestros regalos de Navidad y guardémoslos por el momento. Son demasiado hermosos para usarlos ya. Vendí mi reloj para comprarte las peinetas. Y ahora pon la carne al fuego."

The magi, as you know, were wise men--wonderfully wise men--who brought gifts to the Babe in the manger. They invented the art of giving Christmas presents. Being wise, their gifts were no doubt wise ones, possibly bearing the privilege of exchange in case of duplication. And here I have lamely related to you the uneventful chronicle of two foolish children in a flat who most unwisely sacrificed for each other the greatest treasures of their house.

Los  Reyes  Magos,  como ustedes  seguramente  saben,  eran  muy  sabios -maravillosamente sabios- y llevaron regalos al Niño en el Pesebre. Ellos fueron los que inventaron los regalos de Navidad. Como eran sabios, no hay duda que también sus regalos lo eran, con la ventaja suplementaria, además, de poder ser cambiados en caso de estar repetidos. Y aquí os he contado, en forma muy torpe, la sencilla historia de dos jóvenes atolondrados que vivían en un departamento y que insensatamente sacrificaron el uno al otro los más ricos tesoros que tenían en su casa.

But in a last word to the wise of these days, let it be said that of all who give gifts, these two were the wisest. Of all who give and receive gifts, such as they are the wisest. Everywhere they are the wisest. They are the magi.

Pero, para terminar, digamos a los sabios de hoy en día que, de todos los que hacen regalos, estos dos chicos fueron los más sabios. De todos los que dan y reciben regalos. En todas partes son los más sabios. Ellos son los verdaderos Reyes Magos.

Click here to read this short story all over again

 

MAS "CUENTOS CORTOS NORTEAMERICANOS"   FORO   INICIO