LA WEB DE READING COMPREHENSION PREFERIDA POR LOS HISPANOHABLANTES

To get information in Spanish place the arrow of your mouse on the highlighted words without clicking.
Para obtener información en español acerca la flecha de tu ratón a las palabras o frases resaltadas.

ALICE IN WONDERLAND (Page 3/3)

Lewis Carroll

 

Three conversations from "A Mad Tea-Party"

 

CONVERSATION 3
The Dormouse tells a story.

Click on PLAY to listen.
Pulsa en REPRODUCIR para escuchar.

 

CHARACTERS: ALICE (Alicia); THE MAD HATTER (El Sombrerero)
THE MARCH HARE (La Liebre de Marzo); THE DORMOUSE (El Lirón)

 

DORMOUSE

(slowly opened his eyes) I wasn't asleep. I heard every word you fellows were saying.

MARCH HARE

Tell us a story!

ALICE

Yes, please do!

MAD HATTER

And be quick about it or you'll be asleep again before it's done.

DORMOUSE

Once upon a time there were three little sisters and their names were Elsie, Lacie, and Tillie; and they lived at the bottom of a well...

ALICE

What did they live on?

DORMOUSE

They lived on treacle.

ALICE

They couldn't have done that, you know. They'd have been ill.

DORMOUSE

So they were; very ill.

ALICE

But why did they live at the bottom of a well?

DORMOUSE

It was a treacle-well.

ALICE

There's not such thing.

MAD HATTER
MARCH HARE
DORMOUSE

Shh... Shh... Shh...

DORMOUSE

(sulkily remarking) If you can't be civil, you'd better finish the story for yourself.

ALICE

No, please go on! I won't interrupt you again. I dare say there may be one.

DORMOUSE

One, indeed! And so these three little sisters... they were learning to draw, you know...

ALICE

What did they draw?

DORMOUSE

Treacle.

ALICE

I don't understand. Where did they draw treacle from?

MAD HATTER

You can draw water out of a water-well, so I should think you could draw treacle out of a treacle-well... eh, stupid?

ALICE

But they were in the well!

DORMOUSE

Of course they were... well in. (they laugh) They were learning to draw and they drew all manner of things... everything that begins with an M.

ALICE

Why with an M?

MARCH HARE

Why not?

DORMOUSE

That begins with an M, such as mouse-traps, and the moon, and memory, and muchness... you know you say things are "much of a muchness". Did you ever see such a thing as a drawing of a muchness?

ALICE

Really, now you ask me, I don't think...

MAD HATTER

If you don't think, you shouldn't talk.

ALICE

I've had enough of this rudeness. I'll never come here again! It's the stupidest tea-party I was ever at in all my life! (Alice leaves the table)

 

GLOSSARY

asleep: into a sleeping state (dormido)
you fellows: you pals, you my friends (que ustedes amigos)
and be quick about it: and hurry up (apúrate, date prisa)
before it's done: before you have finished with the story (antes de haber terminado)
once upon a time there were: on one occasion there were (había una vez)
at the bottom of a well: in the lowest part of deep hole used to contain liquid (en el fondo de un pozo)
what did they live on?: pay attention to preposition ON closing the question (¿de qué vivían, de qué se alimentaban?)
treacle: cane syrup (melaza)
they lived on treacle: comi (vivían de, se alimentaban de melaza)
they'd have been ill: they would have been ill (se habrían enfermado)
so they were: and that is what happened exactly (y así fue)
treacle-well: a well containing treacle (un pozo de melaza)
there's not such thing: such thing does not exist (no existe tal cosa)
sulkily remarking: adding with ill humor (rezongando indignado)
civil: polite (educada)
you'd better: it would be better (sería mejor que)
go on: continue, keep on (prosigue, continúa)

I dare say: I could possibly say that (yo diría que)
one, indeed!: of course, there exists one! (¡claro que existe uno!)
to draw: this verb has two meanings: a) to represent by making a drawing on a surface (dibujar); b) to move along the ground by pulling (extraer). In his story, Carroll uses these two senses like a word game.
where did they draw treacle from?: pay attention to preposition FROM closing the question (¿de dónde extraían la melaza?)
water-well: a well containing water (un pozo de agua)
they were in the well (estaban dentro del pozo) and they were well in (gozaban de buena salud): Carroll uses these use two phrases like word games: they were in the well means "they were inside the well" and they were well in is a slang expression (to be well in) meaning "to prosper, to gain in health".
all manner of things:
all kind, all sort of things (todo tipo de cosas)
mouse-traps: a trap for catching mice (matarratas, ratoneras)
the moon: the satellite of the Earth (la Luna)
muchness: greatness of quantity (mucho)
much of a muchness: one of famous Carroll's word games (poco más o menos lo mismo)
rudeness: insulting manner (mala educación)
I was ever at: I have ever been to (a la que haya asistido)

 

Click here to read and listen to the 3 conversations all over again

 

MAS "CUENTOS CORTOS INGLESES"   FORO   INICIO